Friday, February 19, 2010

Tooooo Far...

As in, it might be possible to go too far on a simple repair job...

The house on 26th has the original glass door knobs...

 

This is one of my favorite features of the older homes in this part of Oklahoma City.  However, over time, the glass portion of the knob will break out of the base.  That's much less attractive.   Fortunately, I was able to locate replacement knob sets that matched the original.

I was very happy until I went to install the knobs and the inner shaft of each one was approximately 3/8ths of an inch too long to mesh with the door.  The rods are made of hardened steel which is great for the durability of the handle assembly but not so great for the person who has to trim 3/8ths of an inch off of each rod.

That's how I found myself hunkered over a bench vise tonight, with an air compressor and cutting tool, ear protection, safety glasses and leather gloves, carefully trimming 3/8ths of an inch off each one.  

Plain door knobs anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment